Monday, August 4, 2008

The Award For Product Placement Done Well - Army Wives


That wasn't a random ACME delivery guy at Betty's (formerly known as the Hump Bar), it was a Tyson delivery man delivering Tyson products and yet I didn't feel like Tyson was being crammed down my throat. Most of the time, I feel, product placement isn't very subtle. Normally, it's screaming "LOOK AT ME, THE COMPANY THAT OWNS THE RIGHTS TO ME KNOWS YOU ARE FAST FORWARDING THROUGH THE COMMERCIALS AND SO I MUST CHEESE UP THIS OTHERWISE LOVELY SHOW YOU ARE WATCHING". They've also incorporated Ford in a much more subtle way than Alias (I miss you) ever did.


I sometimes wonder if product placement kind of backfires on companies because I am most likely not going to remember WHAT brand is being advertised, only how it was done. Was it Brother's and Sisters with the several second pause on some phone company product placement? It may as well of been ACME because I only remember that there was obvious product placement but not what the product placement was.


While I'm on Army Wives - I still think this show is SO GOOD! I love how quickly the story lines flow. Oh, and Joan can be in the Wives Club now!

2 comments:

Jen Korando said...

Greetings from Traci B's friend Jen! I loooove your blogs! I had to post tonight after reading that there is another Alias fan out there! QUITE POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER.
I, too, watch Army Wives (how cute is Getty BTW?)and chuckled when the Tyson guy walked in.
I am going to love reading your TV blog here in Sept when all the new shows rev up. Thanks for the entertainment! Hope we meet one of these days! :-)

The Traxsons said...

i noticed the Tyson guy too! i had to look a little more closely because i was kind of surprised by it. the show is really great...i just can't wait to see what happens next. yes, joan is definitely welcome to join the wives club now. i didn't really like her that much as a character before, but they've really really softened her up this season.

and how cute and perfect is trevor?